About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

02 April 2012

Springtime Changes!


Whoa, where did April come from?!
Springtime is certainly upon us and with it has brought some personal changes.

In January I started a new job which has kept me really really really busy with my 2-month-long induction. I've finally completed my official induction programme now which means I'm off on my own (eeek!).  This new job is really a much-needed career change for me which is already affecting my life in positive ways.  I'm really excited about it and can't wait to see where it takes me!

I've finally committed to kick-starting my personal fitness.  After avoiding anything sweat-inducing since our wedding, I eventually got tired of being tired and slightly blubbery and decided to take control.  I've set my sights on  Triathlon training.  Specifically I'm training for a Sprint Distance Triathlon in the fall which includes a 750m Swim, 20km (12.5 mi) Bike, and 5k (3.2 mi) Run.
I'm slightly scared shitless at the prospect of it, but I've been taking one thing at a time.  My first goal was to learn how to swim properly as my last swim lesson was at the age of 7 and therefore I still swim like a 7 year old (picture an injured fish...lifeguards don't know whether I'm joking or drowning). I just finished a 5 week swim lesson class and am feeling more confident!  Plus I met some seasoned triathletes willing to help me with my training!
Next thing is to get my bike in working order...starting with that flattened back tyre :-)
I'm hoping by posting this on a public forum, it will keep me honest.  I'll keep you guys posted on my training progress!  I've noticed that other bloggers are inspired by the Springtime weather and embarking on their own fitness goals--let's swap notes!

Yeahh...not quite there yet.  I'm working on it.  SOURCE

A week from today will be our first wedding anniversary!  I can't believe it.  Where has the time gone?  Don't worry I'll be posting a sufficiently sappy post next week to commemorate our milestone.  For now I'll just tease you with this-- I've purchased an anniversary gift for my hubby which either makes me the best wife ever or the worst (and slightly crazy).  I'll let you know next week when I get his reaction! :-)

This time next week I'll also be packing for a week-long visit to Maryland/D.C. and New York!  It's the first time I've been home since Thanksgiving.  Really looking forward to it, although my Canadian bestie won't be there :-(  Maryland has been on my mind ever since that Head & Shoulders Shampoo commercial featuring Michael Phelps launched.  Ahhh...the Olympics are a'comin'!

Bye for now!
Amanda

1 comment:

  1. hey, sorry to respond here but I don't know your email! Jon lives in a Jewish area of London so it was easy to find matzah and things, but I'd imagine you can order it from Tesco online if your local doesn't have it. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete