About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

11 January 2012

Hump Day History!

Show me the money!

11 January 1596 marked the first state lottery to be introduced in England. Lots were sold the the public at St. Paul's Cathedral in London.  The state-funded "national lottery" in England continued until 1826 when the government decided it was immoral and perpetuated poverty.  The state-franchised lottery we know today was established in the 1990s and although it was established by the government, it is privately operated by the Camelot Group.

What would you do if you won a chunk of the cash??

Top 5 things I would spend major lottery winnings on:

1.  Help our families pay off any debt/mortgages/student loans/medical bills
2.  Buy a few houses outright--a few in the US, UK, and in a few holiday destinations.  Rent out the properties when we're not living in them
3.  Quit our jobs and go on a holiday!
4.  Give our family and closest friends whatever money they needed
5.  Donate to charities that mean a lot to us and become more involved with charity efforts

The rest would go in the bank and we'd live on the interest and the money we get from renting out our properties.


Ahhh, that'd be the life.  It might help if we actually played the lottery. 
Until then, I'd better get some sleep for work tomorrow! 


xoxo
Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amanda, I'm Kalyn. I just wanted to say that I love your blog! I've just joined on blogspot this past week so I found your page through expat blogs. I've just read a few of your entries and they are good. We have a similar story I too moved here from USA in Spring 2011 and got married to my British partner. You are also in your twenties like me which I haven't come across anyone near to my age yet on here. Hope to speak to you soon, come check out my blog if you get a chance. Thanks.
    -Kalyn

    ReplyDelete