About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

05 September 2010

August is the season of celebration in Worthing!

Hi, folks!
Back from my trip to England and totally bummed. Why do the months/weeks/days/hours drag on for aggeesss when Kieran and I are apart and then as soon as we're together it flies by like a flash of lightning? Not fair!

The trip was brilliant. First of all, the air in the South of England is delicious. Maybe it's my imagination, but I feel like the air along the Channel seaside can cure any illness or negative mood. And because of the rain and moist air, everything is so green all the time. I know England gets a bad reputation for being gray and rainy but the gray and rain helps the green grass and beautiful flowers to flourish all year long! It's beautiful. :-)





We spent the whole weekend celebrating, it was excellent! Saturday night was Nan and Grandad London's 50th wedding anniversary celebration. Nan, grandad, aunt Debbie, aunt Kathleen, and Michelle came down from London and we all went out for dinner and drinks to celebrate. Somewhere between the celebratory champagne and the pint of Becks after last call, I got embarrassingly drunk. No one can hold their booze better than the English and I just couldn't compete. At the time it seemed like a good idea to try out my best English accent...very loudly exclaiming 'ELLO!!!

Shockingly, I woke up on Sunday without a hangover...I'm telling you, that sea air must be magical!! Sunday was our engagement BBQ, which was beautifully planned and catered by Sue, Kevin, and Madaleine. They really gave us a delicious and perfect party in the back garden. The weather cooperated...on and off...and there were loads of good friends and family.






Needless to say, between partays, going out, long walks on the beach, and generally being sickeningly in love---not much actual wedding planning got done. Except Kieran's mom gave me a really cool wedding planning book and file folder to help keep me organized...at least it's on the right track! However, I did order my "save the date" magnets and they are super sweet. Hopefully they will come in the mail next week :)

I also got the templates of the invitations in the mail when I got home. I like them but I think it needs a little DIY touch to make it pop. I'm still unsure. Gotta run it by the MoH tonight to get her opinion.

Finally last night I got a rough guest list from Kieran and my mom and went over numbers. Things look okay at the moment. Except the fact that I originally guesstimated needing about 20 hotel rooms and now it's more like 40! So mom and I are gonna go see another hotel options this afternoon and hopefully we can do room blocks at 2 places.

Holy Moley....so many plans, so little time. 7 months this week!!

I know the planning sucks ass and I never want to plan a wedding again, but I can't even wait for the wedding. It's gonna be such a blasty and I can't wait to start our lives together...and actually BE TOGETHER.

Looking forward to going back to England for Christmas/New Years. I hope Kieran will be able to come over here for Thanksgiving and Kim's wedding, but we'll see what happens with the fiance visa. Still pending at the moment...jerkheads. I just hate this distance :-(

Alright folks, wedding stuff with mom this afternoon and then pow-wowing with the MoH this evening.

A BIG THANK YOU to the Todds, Baxters, Grims, and the friends/family of the English posse...for the brilliant party, your words of support/congratulations, and your love. I'm already homesick for England! Roll on, December

<3

1 comment:

  1. You certainly did not appear drunk to us . . . and the 'ello was amazing and will no doubt be spoken about for years to come :-)

    Sue
    XXX

    ReplyDelete