About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

16 September 2011

FOODIE FRIDAY!

Yay! The weekend is here!

What better way to thank your new colleagues for their help in your first week than home baked cookies?!

My original plan was oatmeal chocolate chip (my fave!) but for some reason I couldn't find a single chocolate chip in my whole town, so I went with M&Ms instead.


Ingredients

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups of dried oats
  • 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (or M&Ms!)

Directions

  1. Mix the butter, sugar and brown sugar together until smooth. 
  2. Beat in eggs and vanilla. 
  3. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture.
  4. Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
  5. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart ontogreased  baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F (180 Degrees Celsius) for 11-12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

 For a final sweet touch, I added a bit of golden ribbon and personal "thank you" notes for my new team-mates


I hope my efforts in the kitchen gave the recipients a nice boost before the weekend!  Try out the recipe to welcome in a sweet weekend yourself!
Bon apetit!
 
I hope to get some R&R this weekend but my "to do" list is about a mile long already, including a charity walk for the Alzheimer's Society, collecting boxes for moving, a laundry pile nearly to the ceiling, booking our Thanksgiving flights (ow, my bank account), renewing my Maryland social work license (ow, my bank account again), and hopefully some Skype calls to my besties to catch up.
 ta ta!
 
Amanda xoxo 

2 comments:

  1. Oatmeal cookies are my favorite, and M&Ms just makes them that much sweeter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had trouble finding chocolate chips too -- I used a chocolate bar & just broke it up into pieces. M&Ms were a good idea.

    ReplyDelete