About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

07 September 2011

HUMP DAY HISTORY!

Hi there!

As I mentioned in my previous post, one of the places we visited when my parents were in town was Rye, East Sussex.  What a remarkable place!  The town feels like it's been frozen in time, as it boasts having the oldest and most original landmarks/buildings of any other British town.  I'm not sure if that's true, but it certainly felt like it.  Rye was titled "Rye Royal" by Queen Elizabeth I after her 1573 visit.
A tiny village, you could easily drive right past in a blink of an eye.  But tucked away on the cobblestone paths are historical treasures!

(I tried to upload my own pics but the blogspot picture uploader thingie keeps turning my pics sideways for some reason)

St. Mary's Church


source
The magnificent church has stood atop the hill of Rye for more than 900 years.  Unfortunately the church was ransacked by French invaders in 1377.  In addition to setting the building on fire and doing extensive damage to its structure, the cheeky French enemy absconded with the church's bells to add insult to injury.  A year later, a group of men from Rye sent a message that they would not be defeated--they stormed into Normandy, set fire to two towns, and took back their stolen loot, including the bell!  The bell is still housed in the church today.
This historic church also boasts one of the oldest working church turret clocks in the country, with a large pendulum that swings in the church hall.


Rye Castles/Ypres Tower

The castle and tower were built in 1249 after permission was give by King Henry III to build a defence against the French invasions at the time.  The tower has had many roles over the years--a fortification to protect the town, a private dwelling, a prison ,and a mortuary. It is the oldest building--except for St Mary's church--open to the public in Rye.

source
Famous people connected to Rye

Rye has produced the works of many fiction writers including Conrad and Joan Aiken, Malcolm Saville, Henry James, and E.F. Benson.  Other notable residents include former Doctor Who actor Tom Baker, Sir Paul McCartney (whose children attended school in Rye), and reportedly the ancestors of Bob Marley. 


I highly recommend if you're in the Sussex area (if not, you should plan to be!) to check out Rye.  You won't be disappointed!

My first day of work is tomorrow, eeek!  I'm mostly excited but obviously a little nervous.  It's like the first day of school except more responsibility, a paycheck, and no homework.  It always happens that when the Universe delivers me a job, then the offers start pouring in.  So now I've had two interview invitations this month that I have to decide if I'm gonna take.  I'll let you know how it goes!

source

No comments:

Post a Comment