About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

14 September 2011

UK Employment

Hey, everyone!

I hope you are having a good week so far.  I just finished my 5th day of work (woot woot), hopefully the first week of many :-)




I thought I'd take an opportunity to point out some key differences I've noticed in being a worker in the UK.  Obviously some are specific to my company, but still a comparison to what I'm used to!

  • Colleagues offer you tea and coffee constantly.  Literally, I get offered a cuppa about 5 or 6 times a day.
  • The tax forms are call P46 or P45 instead of the W-2.  Still the same necessary evil, though.
  • Background checks are called CRBs and I will be happy if I never have to fill another CRB form out again
  • I get an hour for lunch.  Literally 60 minutes.  Not 20 minutes to inhale a sandwich at my desk whilst I continue to work.  Not 30 minutes "in theory" but getting disapproving looks from colleagues when I try to use it.
     In fact, co-workers will remind me when it's time to take lunch and won't let me skip!  60 minutes!  Once this week I even walked home and did dishes on my lunch break.  Brilliant!  Okay I am seriously too excited about my lunch break, moving on...
  • No health insurance issues with picking plans that will inevitably lead to headaches and financial doom
  • Home care visits are called "calls" and work schedules are called "rotas." Cute
  • You sign emails with "kind regards"  Still sounds too formal to me

Anything else you expat workers have noticed?  

 

2 comments:

  1. I freaked out the first time a colleague signed an email to me with an x!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My colleagues seem quite attached to "Best Regards" which I also find very formal. I'll use that or, "with thanks."
    I also agree that people take their lunch time - lots of my colleagues go our for lunch, take a sandwich to the park, etc. They might eat at their desk, but only because they did errands at lunch or went to a yoga class. I go home 3-4 days a week which allows me to do some minor housework, sort the mail, watch E! News (!!) and relax. I seriously don't know how I could ever adjust to the US work day ever again!

    ReplyDelete