About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

15 July 2010

Have Woobie, Will Travel



Allow me to introduce a very special inanimate object in my life, the woobie. Yes, I am a grown woman and proud to say I have a security blanket. It all started with my late grandma Yvette who was a knitting/crocheting genius and at the news of my impending birth, she created this masterpiece from wool and love! The name "woobie" originated from a 1983 Michael Keaton film called Mr. Mom. Unlike the movie, my parents failed to successfully wean me from woobie when I was little. And so, the woobie remained!

I never travel without the woobie. The woobie has seen more of the US and the world than the average American! It's gone out west to the Grand Canyon, down south to Mexico, and up north to New York. It's been to England, Wales, Ireland, and Spain. Needless to say, this isn't the end of the woobie's travels so long as I have the travel bug myself!

When I was a kid, my parents and grandma used to joke around and say "hey Amanda are you taking your woobie to college with you? Are you gonna take it on your honeymoon?" You bet your ass I did and I will!! It's like an American Express card--I don't leave home without it!

Fortunately, Kieran understands that me and the woobie are a package deal. He has become accustomed to walking into a room to find that I have wrapped the woobie around my head for comfort after a long day. When I fall asleep on the couch, he wraps the woobie around my shoulders for me. He gets it. And that was surely a pre-requisite for a husband!

What can I say? Being a grown up is hard sometimes! Sure, a woobie doesn't solve my problems, but it's a soft place to rest my head while I am mulling over life's challenges and blessings.

What comforts you?

Love,
Amanda

4 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with a blanket!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Woobies!

    I have had a pillow, named "E-Piddow" (I was a kid when I named it, so it has to still be a "piddow" of course!) It too has been all over the world, from Mexico, to Alaska, Germany, Austria, the Netherlands, Ireland, the UK, and the Czech Republic, among others.

    The BF has gone so far as to say my ratty gross bed night companion is cute! How could I not fall in love after that, considering my own family makes fun of me mercilessly for still having it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family, closest friends, and of course my hubby, all know that Blankie (not her real name -- it's embarrassing) goes wherever I go. I travel a lot (understatement) and, she is the piece of home away from home. I can wake up in a strange place and spend a few dazed moments trying to remember where on earth I am, .... but it is less daunting when there is a familiar thing on your cheek.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one too!!!!! I'm 26 and will NEVER let go of it. Mine is not as good of condition as your though...good job taking care of it!

    ReplyDelete