About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

10 July 2010

If it's too big for a suitcase, it's outta here

So over the next 9 months, I am slow but surely (but mostly slowly) purging my crap from my parents' house. It's sad and horrifying how much stuff a person can accumulate from college onward! Going through my old, dusty, forgotten stuff is like walking back through memories of the past 6 years--one paper, book, and tacky area rug at a time.

I am no stranger to moving. I moved my stuff twice a year over my 4 years at college in PA...and always on the hottest day of the fall/spring, I might add! Every car ride back home to Maryland got more and more cramped with all the accumulated furniture and memories. Then last year Kieran and I made a big move to Baltimore for a year while we both studied in the city and collected even more stuff--I fell in love with cooking and needed kitchen toys!

Now, in addition to my random knick-knacks and furniture from college--my two bedroom apartment worth of furniture and appliances is now crammed into the basement.

Needless to say, I can't take this stuff with me. International flights generally let you take 2 checked bags on board and I still haven't decided if I'm going to ship boxes of stuff to England. Honestly, I am kind of in love with the idea of a fresh start with bare essentials...packing my life into 2-3 bags and building a new life from scratch. It's weird cause I'm generally pretty anal and attached to my stuff, but I'm pretty swept up in the adventure of it all!

Anyways, so Craigslist has been my BFF in my efforts to downsize and put a few bucks in my pocket. Not to mention charities like AmVets and Purple Heart who are more than happy to take boxes of my neglected things and flip it into meaningful profit--more power to them! Meanwhile, it's been payment enough just to see my mom's happiness at the prospect of actually having her basement back. But something tells me she'll miss those fugly college area rugs when they're gone.

Holy crap, did I just say 9 months?! My account at TheKnot.com is giving me daily panic attacks, as they continue to email me to remind me that I have 12,234,501,744 wedding planning things that I have yet to accomplish. Stop rushing me, TheKnot.com! Goshhhh!

Ciao,
Amanda

8 comments:

  1. you're right, it is really cathartic to "start over" with the bare essentials! plus, most of what you'd want to ship over can be bought here for cheaper than the price of shipping. not sure where in the uk you're moving to, but most flats in london that you might rent come at least partly furnished, so that's one thing you might not have to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's tough cramming you're entire life into 2-3 suitcases. I brought 2.5 suitcases over of my stuff (my husband needed to pack his clothing somewhere! lol). To be honest, there are things I wish I would've packed. Like ALL of my photo albums, some more of my clothes, etc. Clothes can be replaced, but photos from your life can't so I would suggest trying to pack as many of those as you can. And hopefully your parents are better than mine at shipping things. :p

    But it is QUITE an adventure. England is amazing and even though it's been a bumpy ride adjusting to life in the UK, I wouldn't change my decision for the world. And thankfully, you've found other women that have gone through the process before you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am struggling with this myself. I've done the whole purge thing before. There are still something I CANNOT part with. My grandparent's kitchen table is one. This WILL be shipped once Dan and I are married and in a place of our own. Thankfully the loft in my parents' garage is set aside for the things I will later be shipping. It's a fine balance between starting anew but also holding onto the important things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going through this exact situation right now! I am moving to London this upcoming Friday and I have to pack my life into 3 cases. I just moved back "home" for a month from living in New York City for the last 3 years and tried to purge quite a bit already. I am dreading this week of packing up, only b/c I really don't know what to take and what to leave. However, I am glad to see I am not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the comment you left me! I will also return the favor of blog linking ^_^

    If you haven't considered it yet, get Space Bags. They were amazing when I moved, and I could fit all my clothes plus extra stuff as well. I never shipped anything over, thus my few worldly American possessions (namely, my books) are still in storage at my mom's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's nothing like moving to help you get rid of your stuff! When I go to England, I'll be bringing my books, DVDs, and clothes. All my furniture and appliances have to go. I enlisted my mom to ask around her friends to see if anyone is in need of anything. I also might try to sell some stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey remember that when we all come over for the wedding we can each bring back something for you . . . so that could be a few more things :-)

    Sue
    X-X-X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your blog and I can't wait to read more! I'm living in NYC right now but moving to London in 5 weeks so I'm on the same boat. Luckily I'm making 2 trips out there so I'll be able to bring 2 suitcases both times. Good luck with everything!!

    ReplyDelete