About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

24 July 2010

Smooth Sailing Thus Far!

Folks, today was a great day. Wedding and immigration stuff was all going my way today! First, I took my parents to see Milton Ridge this morning. I was pretty nervous cause I loved the place and wasn't sure if my parents would be on the same page. They were skeptical at first but soon fell in love with the place and its charm. Once I get Kieran's final approval, we'll put a deposit down next week YAYAYAYAYA!! I can't wait to send out "save the date" cards now that we have a place.

Then, I got home and found a notice from USCIS in the mailbox! Unbelievable! I just sent off that application a week ago! I hope this is a sign of fast processing times to come. Basically it was a notice that they had received the application and were processing it. Yay! So far so good



When I got home I also had a long phone chat with a college friend who is getting married in the fall. It was nice to catch up and commiserate with the stress of wedding planning. Definitely made me feel more sane!

I can't even wait to start my new job on Monday. Having some time off has been super restful, useful, and somewhat productive--not counting the 35% of the time spent sleeping (no regrets!). But I love having a schedule and purpose to my day! Plus, I'm going to be doing a job that I think I am really going to enjoy. I am a social worker and my background is in aging. My last job was more political in nature and it just wasn't the right fit for me, even though I am interested in public policy. This job, in contrast, is going to be more direct clinical practice with older adults, so I think it's going to utilize my social work skills and be more rewarding overall. I sure hope so! It's always a little nerve-wracking starting a new job and being the new person, so please send your positive prayers and vibes my way!

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. In DC we are having unbearable heat!! I think I got 2nd degree burns from touching my car's steering wheel! Stay cool, kids.

Love,
Amanda :-D

3 comments:

  1. Greetings from Greece! Loving the blog! Great way to stay updated :) Glad to see all is going well with the petition and wedding planning. Have a great first day at work!!
    -Nafsika

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Petition for an Alien Fiance?" You need to fill out paperwork just to get engaged? Good lord, nothing's simple, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck with the new job, I think you started today.

    ReplyDelete