About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

24 August 2011

HUMP DAY HISTORY! A report from Westminster

Hello, again, friends!

I am back.

Hardly felt like I was gone, only about 24 hours.  But a lovely "stay-cation" nonetheless.  It's timely that my adventures in Westminster London happen to fall on "Hump Day History" as I will share some of the tidbits I learned today.

I haven't been to London in AGESSSS.  The last time I was there was New Years Eve 2009 but I was quite ill unfortunately so apart from joining the crowds along the Thames to briefly see the fireworks, I spent most of the trip in the hotel.  The last time I properly explored London was 2007 when my parents came to visit me when I studied abroad.  As I said, AGEESSS.

As soon as our train pulled into London Victoria station, all the fun memories and happy energy came right back to me.  As we passed our old haunts along the way, I was overcome by nostalgia yet strangely felt like I had never left.  As if London was an old friend of mine. 

When I studied abroad in Spring 2007, Kieran and I met up often in London and spent memorable weekeends together.  As our relationship grew deeper through our adventures in London, it became harder and harder to leave each other at Victoria Station every time.  I still feel nauseous when I think of those long bus rides back to Cheltenham, crying on and off (which I'm sure disrupted my fellow riders) and wondering when I'd see him next.  I was so insanely happy to be beyond that stage in our life together--FINALLY.  Now after a lovely trip, I don't have to say goodbye anymore.  I can have a cup of tea with the hubby and talk about how much fun we had.  That's a good feeling.

ANYWAYS, enough of the mushy stuff (sorry), on to the history lessons!

BIG BEN


The Big Ben clock tower has a spiral staircase with 334 steps up to the bell tower.  You bet your ass I completed each one (not to mention going back down again!).  Oh there's no lift in that baby!  You have to earn your history lesson when you get a tour.  But definitely worth it! 

Unfortunately we weren't able to take photos inside but it was amazing!  We went to meet Big Ben himself (he is loud, we had to wear ear plugs) and got to see the views of London from the top, even though it was a little foggy.

The Great Clock was installed in 1859 and its first tick was heard on May 31st.  It was designed by amateur clock enthusiast, Edmund Denison, and constructed by Edward Dent.

Didja know?
"Big Ben" is actually the name of the bell itself, not the full tower that we recognize.  The clock itself is called the The Great Clock or The Clock Tower
The bell installed today is actually Big Ben #2.  The first bell was cracked during testing so it had to be made into scrap metal.  The second bell was pulled up in a shaft by the sheer brute strength of 8 guys.  It took them over 30 hours to hoist the bell to the top!  Imagine their annoyance when after a few months later the new bell was cracked again during testing.  Fortunately they were able to repair the bell in place.

The clock's mechanisms are maintained 3 times a week by experts.  Even today the equillibrium of the clock's pendulum are adjusted by adding or taking away old pennies for counter-balance.

In 1885 a special light called the "Ayrton Light" was installed at the top of the clock and is lit whenever either House is in debate after dark.  Originally the light was specifically pointed towards Buckhingham Palace so Queen Victoria would know when Parliament was debating at night.  But later it was expanded for all to see.





Houses of Parliament
source
Once again, not allowed to take pictures (except for Wesminster Hall which I'll discuss in a second), but it's gorgeous.  Not as massive as the U.S. Congressional Buildings and underground tunnels which are impressive but the decor alone was breathtaking.  Plus, since the monarch is connected to the decisions of Parliament, there is more than one room with an elaborate throne.  Pretty cool.

"The Palace of Westminster" has been a royal palace for about 1,000 years and home to Parliament for nearly 500.  It is one of the most important buildings in the U.K.

Didja know?
The Palace of Westminster was originally the home to Kings and Queens before the nation's politicians were granted use of the space for law making in 1550

The chambers for the House of Commons and House of Lords doesn't have enough space for all Members (several hundred seats short, to be specific).  If you don't get a seat, you can't participate in debates

Fire and destruction have damaged much of the original parts of the building. First in 1834 and again during The Blitz of the 1940s.  Of course don't forget the failed plot of Guy Fawkes to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605.

Westminster Hall is the oldest remaining part of the building.  It was pretty much the only part that survived the great fire of 1834 and the 1941 bombing raid.  Amongst other things, the Hall has been used for social events, banquents, feasts, etc.  Most recently, President Obama addressed a large crowd there in May.  It was also the backdrop of many high profile legal trials including Sir Thomas More, Guy Fawkes, and King Charles I.  The verdicts did not end well for these individuals!  In recent years it has been used for deceased monarchs and parliamentarians to lay in state.

The name "Parliament" comes from the French "parlez" which means "to speak."

Westminster Hall

 

House of Commons Champagne...hehe

What a fun day!  Cheers to the hubby for organizing the trip.  Plus, no stay in London is complete without a trip to see Nan & Grandad London and get some yummy bread pudding.  Cheers to them for their hospitality!






JUST 4 MORE SLEEPS TIL MOM AND DAD GET HERE!  Yay!!

Have a great rest of the week, readers!

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment