About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

19 August 2011

Non-Foodie Friday!

My goodness, I am WAAYYYY overdue for an update, this week has been so crazy.  I have LOADS to tell you.  I will work on an update post for tomorrow so I will be up to date!  Promise!!

On Wednesday (Hump Day History) I was gonna post a guest post by a fellow 20-Something Blogger but we both got busy and got delayed.  So I'm posting it now, just a little late!  So Foodie Friday will have to wait til next week.  I hope you enjoy this special post!

So, without further ado, this guest post is brought to you by Misha, who is also an expat.  She's is Polish/Swedish living in Australia.  To check out her adventures (and to read my guest post in the coming days) you can check out her blog HERE!  Enjoy!



Firstly, do not fear, Amanda’s blog has not been kidnapped by an evil overlord. We are simply taking part in the 20 Something Blog Swap, so I’ll be hanging out here for the day! Make sure to check out Amanda’s guest-post over at my blog – Endlessness Ego.

Secondly, the introduction!  Hello  everyone, I’m blogging from down under,  that massive chunk of land known as Australia (where yes, in fact, we do eat our kangaroos), and  I have been here for the past 4.5 years. Originally I’m born and raised in Sweden, with polish roots.  How on earth did I end up on the other side of the globe? Initially I came here to study and finish my undergrad in film, but managed to extend my studies so I’m on the verge of finishing my Masters in film as well.  

The fantastic thing that everyone kept telling me about with Australia, is that it’s pretty much a case of endless summer. That is of course not the complete truth. Yes, it doesn’t exactly snow here or get ass-freezin cold as I’m used to back in Sweden, but we do have our “winter” season – it rains. However, this only lasts around 3-4 months. The rest of the year is… yes,  I’d call it summer. 

There is one thing that amazes me though. It was only upon my very first weeks in Australia that I actually got a tan. Life kind of gets the hold of you and miraculously the summer has passed and you’re still… pale as a sheet. How is it possible to miss out on all these opportunities to hang out on the beach all day long? Oh yes, that’s right. I work night-shifts. Being a full-time student results in part-time work and I have earned my income in the hospitality industry – in nightclubs behind bars.

This summer however, remember everything is upside-down here in Oz,  we’re going through the winter season while your summer is about to end, I will capture every bit of that endless summer. I will surf. I will skateboard. I will ride my bike. Usually I spend too much time with my laptop, or playing Xbox, or catching up on TV-shows. But no, this summer, I’m embracing being wild and free and outdoorsy. It’s insane how I always got more out of my summers when there was less of it when I lived in Europe, than when I am in the country of summer.

I got a quick preview of the summer-life when I very briefly visited Europe in June. It’s wonderful how you can manipulate so that you constantly have summer, as long as you change destination. Imagine that, always living and breathing summer. What a carefree lifestyle! That’s exactly what the corporate zombies that we’re turning into need. Carpe that endless summer, and carpe it with pictures of course… Oh snap!







xoxoxo
Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Great guest post - I LOVE summer, so I think Australia should be our next 'home' :) XOL

    ReplyDelete