About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

10 August 2011

HUMP DAY HISTORY!

Happy Wednesday, readers! 
I almost forgot what day it was til I was informed by a kind estate agent I had called to set up a flat viewing.  Not much to report except that the hunt for our new home is well underway. No winners yet, but I've got 2 appointments tomorrow and 8 properties we saw online that I need to set up viewings for.  I guess this is one benefit to being unemployed, having ample time to view flats!  Still job hunting obviously, nothing happy to report on that front, to be honest, so we'll just leave it at that.

Tonight was a laugh, a group of us went down to the beach for a bbq.  Despite the windy weather, we found a good spot to grill up some burgers, hot dogs, and sausages.  Kieran and I grilled up our "exotic" bison burgers and llama burgers, too! Quite yummy, I must say, although I let a friend eat the rest of my llama burger.
Burn, baby, burn!


Yum, exotic burgers!


Friend's dog, Barney, came to say hello (and eat our scraps)


The other day I took a stroll around the neighborhood and sat for a while in a local park called Steyne Gardens.  Of course, even green spaces in England have their own history!  As I was walking through I noticed a placard about the garden's history.  Imagine that!

HUMP DAY HISTORY
STEYNE GARDENS, WORTHING

The gardens were presented to the town in 1900 by Lady Maria Georgiana Loder, the widow of Sir Robert Loder, former Conservative MP for the Shoreham area.  In 1980, the local Rotary Clubs celebrated the 75th Anniversary of Rotary International by installing a "sunken" garden with aromatic flowers designed for blind to enjoy the scents of the flowers and greenery.  The garden was last refurbished in 2007 during the council's "Greening the Borough" initiative. 

This beautiful green space has been home to many fun summer events, including Splash FM Festival, Worthing Motor Show, and the seafront fun fair.  On sunny days you can see families taking strolls, people playing sports, and young and old alike enjoying the flowers and the shade.  


That's all for now!
Later,
A

No comments:

Post a Comment