About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

03 August 2011

HUMP DAY HISTORY!

Welcome to the middle of the week, friends!

I am SO pleased that summer has finally showed up here!  The past 5 days have been sunny, warm, and rain free.  I'm loving it. 

As such, we've spent quite a bit of time outdoors over the last few days.  Here's a little review!

On Saturday we helped our friends move to a nearby neighborhood.  Going up and down stairs with heavy boxes really gave my calves a workout!  In the afternoon, we checked out the Worthing Lions Club Festival Market with loads of merchants/food stalls along the seafront.


Found at a discount book stall--It's Waldo with a different alias


Blown glass, pretty sweet


That's a lot of slushies!

On Saturday we also got our bedroom furniture delivered (yay!  finally a place for my underoos and shirts!)  so we spent much of the afternoon assembling them.  Of course these things always come in about 14,205,356 pieces and I can never understand the instructions.  Good thing Kieran was there to make sure I wasn't building things upside down.  By the time we finished, I was so knackered from the day's events, I passed out early.

Sunday was brilliant, a group of us went to nearby Arundel read about the history of this castle! to get a tour of the castle and to see the "Medieval Encampment" and jousting match!












Check out this video I took:




It was so much fun!  Poor hubby (and our other fair skinned friends) got nasty sun burns, but nothing a little aloe can't sort out.  Sunday night we knuckled down and FINALLY selected our wedding pics for our album and prints.  PHEW! No easy task, we were exhausted yet chuffed with ourselves for having accomplished it.  One less thing to worry about!

Monday morning I had a lovely bike ride with my father-in-law.  It was the maiden voyage of my newish bike (walking it home from the shop on the day I bought it doesn't count).  We biked down to Shoreham and walked around the grounds of a 900 year old church (I know it's morbid, but I love old graveyards).  Then he showed me the Shoreham houseboats moored along the River Adur.  It's amazing the creativity (and talents with a soldering tool) in these houseboats, I had never seen anything like it!

source
How cool is that?!

After cycling back, grocery shopping, and lugging full bags home over a mile, I was done with the day's fitness.


Today was the first HOT day in England terms.  About close to 80F.  I had been so spoiled with 65F weather, today felt sweltering.  It was the first time I was actually uncomfortable in the flat.  Not gonna lie, I did my household chores in my underoos.

So that's the last few days, in a nutshell!  Now on to today's history lesson:

BT's Speaking Clock Turns 75!

The other day I was watching the news and saw a story about Britain's "speaking clock" and how it recently celebrated its 75th anniversary (24 July, to be exact).  From 1936 til today, one can dial "1-2-3" from any BT phone and get the precise time.  Not in the UK?  No problem, you can dial +44 871 789 3642 from the U.S.!

The Speaking Clock is a national institution and part of Britain's Heritage.  It was originally introduced in 1936 for people who did not have a watch or clock. 
Around 30 million calls every year are made to the speaking clock, which was nicknamed "Tim" because originally the line could be called by dialing the corresponding numbers (846)

Initially the accuracy of the clock was one-tenth of a second, but today it is accurate to within five thousandths of a second. Even Big Ben uses the service to check its accuracy.

The "voice" of the clock is almost as famous as the service itself, with only four permanent voices ever used. The fourth, and current, voice is Sara Mendes da Costa, who became the clock's voice in April 2007 after winning a nation-wide contest. 

So why do so many people still call this service now that we have computers, cell phones, and digital clocks/watches?  Some just get a kick out of it and its historical significance.  Others use it to define the exact moment of a holiday or special occassion (i.e. New Years).  Reportedly there are several phone calls made just before 5pm, when customer service staff are trying to avoid having to take a lengthy phone call at the end of the day.
Source1
Source2
Source3

Thanks for reading!

Amanda xxx

1 comment:

  1. I just discovered your blog and wanted to say hi. I loved this post - I'm a Brit living in the US but ready to come home, and one of the things I'm looking forward to mosts is days out like the ones you described here. Thanks for the great read!

    ReplyDelete