About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

20 July 2011

HUMP DAY HISTORY!

BRITSPEAK (Household Items)
"Bog Roll" = Toilet Paper
"Kitchen Roll" = Paper Towels
"Serviettes" = Paper napkins
"Hoover" = Vacuum
"Washing up liquid" = dish soap (like the kind you hand wash with)
"Telly" = Television
"Hob" = stove top

Today has been eventful and productive to say the least!  I am knackered (exhausted). 
Got up before the hubby and walked to the Enterprise car hire center to pick up my 24 loaner car.  A lovely red KIA Ceed, I could get used to a gal like her!  After safely getting her home, I walked to the weekly street market and stocked up on produce. It's amazing what £10-15 can get you at a street market.  I love it!  Now it's just a race against the clock to eat the fruit and veg before it goes off!  Maybe that's why they recommend "5 a day"!

Then it was last minute preparations/studying for my interview in East Sussex.  Then I was off!  Thanks to my trusty Garmin GPS (which, after giving it some time, eventually realized it was in England), I had no problems getting there and could just focus on staying on the correct side of the road and not side swipe bicylclists (there are a lot of them!), cars parked in the road (WTF?), or fellow motorists (the streets are so narrow!)

I had a few moments that made me go "EEEEEE!!!!" in a fit of terror, but overall it was fine.  I'm still alive to tell the tale, aren't I?  I think I still need some practice, though.  However, when I drove the hubby to the grocery store later, he didn't seem so sweaty and tense so that's an improvement! :-)


this is the sign for the "National Speed Limit" which is 70mph on dual carriageway and 60 on a single carriageway

The interview went quite well.  I don't want to say too much in case I don't get it, but I will say it was definitely a job that was right up my alley and would be a good fit for me.  I just hope the interviewers felt that I would be a good fit for them!  I had three people interviewing me which was a little nerve-wracking, but they were super nice and made me feel comfortable, so that helped.  It lasted about an hour. First I had to give a 10 minute presentation about the program I would be involved with and then they asked me about 9 or 10 standardized questions about the role.  I had a bit of verbal diarhea because I wanted to get my ideas out before they vanished from my brain, so I hope I got my points across.  They said I should hear either way tomorrow, so I will appreciate any prayers/positive thought vibes/crossed fingers!  If not, back to more apps tomorrow!  I'm pleased to have gotten 2 interviews in the month I've been at the job hunt, definitely a good sign.

I drove myself home (again, no bodily injury to myself or others--yay!), in the rain (silly rain, go away!  Don't you know it's summer??), and updated mom, Kieran, and facebook about the interview. 

Since we have the rental til tomorrow morning, hubby and I thought we'd do a big grocery shop at Tesco to keep us for a few weeks.  I love shopping at big Tesco!  Little Tesco sucks (AKA "Tesco Express").  Big Tesco is like Walmart and Tesco Express is like 7-Eleven...less variety and higher prices, but good if you need something quick.  Like yesterday when I had a massive sweet tooth and Tesco Express was the only thing within walking distance AND open after 6pm. 

My early start caught up to me after hauling the groceries inside, so I let the hubby make omlettes for dinner.  I say "let" because I'm slightly territorial about my kitchen and like to cook.  Unless I'm tired or feeling lazy on weekends, hehe.  But, to his credit, he is quite good!

Now I'm just chillaxin in front of the telly and waiting for the Aleve to kick in and dull this headache.  I've got the windows cracked and can hear the performers next door at the bar's weekly open mic night.  I wouldn't go calling Britain's Got Talent, but it's pleasant to listen to!

On a final note, the annual Worthing Lions Club Festival (including several fun activities spanning the next few weeks) has kicked off already with the "fun fair"/mini carnival thingie.  I snapped a picture of the lights from the rides and activities down the street.  We might have to go down there sometime over the next week and have a go at the carnival games or rides!  At the very least, there will be fatty carnival food to be enjoyed.

are we having fun yet?
The next Worthing summer fun activity to look forward to will be the SLASH FM garden party this weekend, featuring musical tributes to Kylie Minogue, U2, Phil Collins, and others!  I can only hope the fun stuff planned with bring some good weather to go with it.  Recently it's been rubbish!  Cold and rain, blechhh.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Well, in honor of my neighborhood (and favorite) castle, I am featuring Arundel Castle in this week's Hump Day History Lesson!

Hump Day History--Arundel Castle 
source
Can you believe that this is still a running home?  It's the stately home of the Duke and Duchess of Norfolk.
That would be these fine people:

source

On a side note, they announced two weeks before the Royal Wedding that they were separating and the Duke was reportedly going to move out of the castle.  WHAT?  As one local put it (as published in the Daily Mail): "we are all wondering why then can’t they simply live in separate wings of the castle." Exactly!

Anyways, far before the couple moved their boxes into the breath-taking castle, the walls of the home had seen many families and historical events.  The castle has nearly 1,000 years of history to its name (that's a lot in American standards!).  It was built at the end of the 11th Century by Roger de Montgomery, Earl of Arundel.  It has remained in the family of the Duke of Norfolk for 400 years.  During the period of the English Civil War, the building sustained damage.  However, there were several restoration projects over the 18th and 19th century, most notably by Charles Howard, 11th Duke of Norfolk, who made various improvements and expansions to the building as he desired to live and entertain frequently there.

In 1846, Queen Victoria and her husband Prince Albert visited the castle and stayed for several days.  In preparation for the exciting royal visit, Henry Howard (13th Duke of Norfolk) spared no expense.  A special block of rooms was built and decorated in the finest Victorian style furniture and art.  He also commissioned a special portrait of the Queen to display.  Much to the Duke's pleasure, the Queen was impressed and comfortable with her private suites during her visit.

Today the castle and gardens are open to the public at certain times of the year (for a fee, of course).  In fact, at the end of the month they are having tradition "medieval encampment" and jousting tournament, so I am hoping to check that out!

Thanks for reading!  Hope everyone has a good rest of the week!

A

3 comments:

  1. It is just after 7 am in Washington and the temperature is currently 87 degrees with an index of 95. The high today is 103 with an index close to 120. Would you like to swap?

    P.S. I wonder if Arundel castle is any relation to whoever gave their name to Anne Arundel County?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain deary! I drove last night from the movies back home, I did quite well, but was very very stressed... you forgot the "Safety Camera"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on the job - fingers & toes crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete