About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

29 July 2011

FOODIE FRIDAY!

Hello, dear readers!

I'm sorry I've been M.I.A. this week.  As many of you know, being a new expat has its ups and downs and several days this week have been downers.  I just didn't have anything positive to post so I didn't post at all.  Another week without job news and being told I wouldn't be considered for two posts I was clearly qualified for just because I didn't have 3 years of UK-based experience.  Constantly being ignored and being told "no" eventually gets to you.  I never had this hard a time getting a job, even as a new graduate.  I'm not used to it.  Maybe I just got lucky in the past and now I'm seeing how it really is for most people.  It sucks, I'm not gonna lie.  But I have good support here fortunately so I'm chugging along and trying to remain as positive as I can.  I hope to look back on this with humor and learn from it.  It's hard to see the larger purpose of this roller coaster but I know in the not-so-distant future I'll see the forest through the trees and all will be for a good purpose.

The good news is, my parents just booked their flights to visit us in a few weeks!  yay!!  I'm so psyched to see them.  Our parting was so bittersweet (well, mostly bitter and full of tears) so I'm looking forward to saying hello again and having a fun week together.  My hubby has been my rock and full support system since I got here and I love him for it.  But a girl still wants her mommy sometimes!  I'm glad to have happy times to look forward to.  Better start planning fun day trips in Sussex!  At the very least, my parents are looking forward to some relief from the heat.  It was reportedly 105F today in D.C.  Whoa! 

After a rough week, I actually had a really nice Friday today, which I know will get me through to next week.  I had a lunch date with the hubby, applied for a few good jobs, made a yummy chocolate mousse (see below), and had the in-laws over to see the Worthing fireworks.  Considering I went without fireworks for the 4th of July this year, I thoroughly enjoyed the 15 minute show this evening from the pier.  Better yet, we saw it from the comfort of our own balcony.  It doesn't get much better than that.  Here's a video of a small portion of the light display!



FOODIE FRIDAY! Let's talk about pudding...
In the U.S. when someone says "pudding" you think of JELL-O or Swiss Miss brand custard.  If you're lazy, it comes in pre-package cups.  If you're feeling a bit more adventurous, you can make it from a powdery mix. In any event, you know what you're getting into when someone announces that pudding is on its way.
Not here! Oh, no!  "Pudding" refers to any sweet dessert you might encounter after your meal.  It could be pie, cake, custard, ice cream, or even cheese with grapes!  You never know what's in store.  I, for one, enjoy the element of surprise.  The following are my recent "pudding" attempts--Key Lime Pie and Chocolate Mousse. 

***KEY LIME PIE***
I made this pie (my first attempt ever!) last weekend and by Tuesday night it was gone.  I guess it was good!


Digestive biscuit crust--homemade, baby!

The key ingredient--lime juice and lime rind

Voila!

***CHOCOLATE MOUSSE***
My love affair with chocolate mousse all began at a Bar Mitzvah when I was about 10 or 11.  I've been a sucker ever since.  This particular recipe called for 3 bars of chocolate and was a little thick but had the characteristic "bubbles" you see in mousse.  Definitely a keeper!

I swear it tastes better than it looks!

Presentation is key


It's difficult not to over-indulge in "pudding" especially when one is having a down week.  Well, I did buy a bicycle last weekend so hopefully in the coming weeks there will be more of this:
And less of this:
Source
Lord help me! LoL.

Have a brilliant weekend!

A

4 comments:

  1. Your pie looks beautiful! I hope you have a great time when your parents come- no matter what might happen, the minute there is an ocean between you is when you just want to see their faces and give them a hug, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're writing about the downs as well as the ups. The pond often seems far too far away from those you love. I'm about if you need a whinge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey lady, sorry to hear you're having a hard time. I think everyone goes through a bit of a learning curve - but what people don't often talk about is that the culture you're moving into has to learn to accept you just as you learn to accept them! It takes a little while, but I have faith that you'll find something. Fingers all crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Popped by via An American in Bath and this post made me smile! I'm an American as well living in the UK (grew up in PA) although I've been here for the last 10 years now. I currently live in Manchester but lived for 8 years in the South. The pudding thing made me smile because of course not only is there the 'dessert' definition but also Yorkshire Pudding (not a sweet at all of course) and Black Pudding (blood sausage). It seems the only thing English DON'T call pudding is bloody pudding because THAT'S called Custard!! ;)

    Anyway, just wanted to say hello and to let you know, it DOES become easier and yes it's good to have a whinge when you need to. So glad you have a great support system too :)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete