About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

10 July 2011

Another lovely weekend comes and goes!

Hi, folks!

This weekend has been eventful and chilled at the same time.  On Friday I was in a bad mood after another week with unsuccessful attempts to get a job, but Kieran dragged me out with a group of people to Arundel for "Beer O'Clock" at the Black Rabbit.  It was a lovely pub, we ended up having a nice meal and a drink or two.  Arundel is so beautiful in every season.  As you come around the bend in the main road, it opens up to amazing landscape and a breath-taking castle.

Source
This is a nice picture but still doesn't quite do it justice.  It also has a pretty creek/river/moat thingie with a long walkway.  The Black Rabbit is right on the little river thingie and has an outdoor patio area overlooing the small body of water and Arundel in the background.  Very picturesque and British, I love going there and even just driving through!

On Friday Kieran also got a letter in the post about a volunteer position he applied for with the young offenders, and they invited him for an interview.  So proud of him!  That was good news.

Saturday morning we were woken early by a clan of pigeons who have moved into the balcony next door.  There are like 5 of them protecting a nest which they built in a pot under our neighbor's chair.  They are so loud in the morning and produce so much poop, it's concerning.  I don't even know if our neighbor is aware of his uninvited squatters as he doesn't seem to be home much.



momma pigeon protecting her poopy nest. ew.


Me peeking next door to get a look at the brood
 When we ventured out for errands on Saturday, we were greeted with some interesting entertainment in the neighborhood.  Morris Dancing, which apparently is a type of English folk dancing dating back to the 15th century.  A troupe was downtown entertaining the crowd.  It was quite good!  Take a look at this video I shot.  It's kind of cool how the tradition has been successfully passed down over so many generations.




Saturday afternoon/evening was filled with a pirate-themed pub crawl around Worthing organized by some friends.  Needless to say, it got a bit messy and I had to be put to bed at 9:30pm, but I had a laugh.  We went to some really nice pubs with pretty beer gardens, it was so nice out. 



argghhhh!


This morning we were a little groggy and slow to get started but after some coffee and watching the sea of pink joggers/walkers go past in this year's seafront Race for Life, we ventured out to get some food for an impromtu picnic on the beach, just the two of us.

Hubs with the spread!
It was just what I needed to kick the hangover--sea air, sun on my face, and greasy chips in my tummy. 

I also noticed today that the basil seeds I planted a few days ago started to sprout.  Yay!!  I shall have to plant a few more herbs for the kitchen. 




And this is a mini rainbow I saw on Friday evening

So as you can see it was a bit of a mish-mash this weekend.  But overall it was quality and I had some good fun.  Back to the job drawing board tomorrow!

Laterssss!
Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the job hunt. You'll get there. And I'm so glad you're having good weekends. I'm completely envious of your seaside location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun weekend. Good luck on the job search! XOL

    ReplyDelete