About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

06 July 2011

HUMP DAY HISTORY!

Hi, folks!

This week's history lesson is a short one.  More like "oh dang, fun fact" more than my usual lengthy entries.  I wanted to find out if the complex we live in had any history or at least how it got its name "Augusta House."  Well thanks to the internet, I got my answer!

Apparently the original building used to be called Trafalgar House and was built around 1810.  From 1829-1830, Princess Augusta Sophia (sister of King George IV in the Royal House of Hanover) stayed at Trafalgar House.  Presumably, it was a stately home or hotel-like building at the time.  After her stay, the building's name was changed to Augusta House in her honor.  Unfortunately the original building on this site was demolished and rebuilt in 1948 by city planners eager to modernize the seaside town.  But needless to say, this seaside town was popularized by many royal visits over the years, including that of Princess Augusta Sophia!

Princess Augusta Sophia (namesake of my home!)
 So there ya go :-D  imagine that!

Well this was my first time ever being out of the U.S. for the 4th of July.  It was a little sad but I tried to enjoy it.  On Sunday we went to the parents-in-law for a BBQ which was perfectly suited for a 4th of July weekend.  The sun was shining (the hubs got burnt), the grill was fired up, and Kieran's mum whipped up some cocktails, too!  It was a great afternoon.  On Monday there were no fireworks, but I did create my own patriotic touch to the day...

My red white and blue trifle!

Not much else going on here besides job hunting my little heart out.  I got my CRB background check in the mail today and it seems I am, indeed, criminality-free.  Woot.  Small victories, folks. 

Congratulatory U.S. shout-outs are due to my cousin on the birth of her healthy baby girl, Zoe, and to my bestie Erica on her engagement.  All the fun stuff happens when I'm away! :-(

Ta ta for now!
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment