About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

17 July 2011

M.I.A. Summer

Britspeak:
Camp -- Effeminate characteristics usually used to describe the mannerisms of a flamboyantly gay man.  As in: "He's as camp as a row of pint tents!"

Cheeky -- Impertinently bold; impudent and saucy, nervy.  As in: "You cheeky child, I saw you take a biscuit after I told you not to!"

Chuffed -- Pleased/Happy/Proud.  As in: "I got a promotion at work. I'm well chuffed with that!"

Wonga -- Money

Wonky -- Crooked; off-center; askew.  As in, "The wheels on my bike have gone a wonky and now it won't go straight!"

Pegs -- Teeth.  As in: "Go scrub your pegs, it's time for bed!"


I've been waiting patiently for the past month and it seems that our friend Summer hasn't quite reached Sussex yet.  

Just to clarify, when I say "summer," I'm referring to the familiar heat and sun (sometimes overwhelming) that I'm used to, growing up in the DC metro area.  As expected, temps in the DMV (DC/MD/VA) have been sweltering in the 90s for much of the summer already and I'm sure my friends and family are running their air conditioning units at full blast just to breathe.  Doesn't exactly sound like a fun situation, but it's familiar to me.

Since my arrival at the end of May, I've been waiting for summer to show up in my new neighborhood.  Every day I wake up expecting summer to be here and it's still cold here!  Only one or two days got up to the 70s but it's mostly been 50-60 degrees and quite windy by the sea.  Today was especially breezy and cold, I saw people walking outside with jackets on!  What is going on?  My shorts and tanks are collecting dust in my closet.  

Well, the good news is, we save money on not needing air conditioning and can open the windows during the day to enjoy the breeze and not have to worry about letting the hot muggy air (and bugs) in.  Also, living in a "temperate maritime climate" means winters are mild as well.  No more shoveling 2-3 feet of snow for me, yay!!

However, I am encouraged by weather predictions written by the Telegraph: "The good news is . . .this August’s school holidays are set to see the best of summer, with sunblock needed for early-month temperatures nudging just above 30C in the south and low rainfall" (Source) So maybe summer will show up yet.  A lady after my own heart, always just a little late to arrive.

Still, I grow weary of seeing brollies (umbrellas) and wellies (rainboots) around and could use a bit of color.  I hope to see you soon, summer!

BTW tonight is the season finale of The Apprentice UK!  The hubs and I have gotten into it the past few weeks.  Everyone who watches it (myself included) fancies themselves a business expert whilst watching, yelling out at the television, "what the hell are you doing, you idiot?!"  It's brilliant fun.

So who will survive the final axe from Lord Sugar?
Source

Here's my prediction . . .
Source

That's Helen.  She's the only one of the lot who isn't a total idiot.  She's got balls and brains.  I hope she wins.
I guess we'll find out!

Laters
Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Cheeky and chuffed are two of my absolute favorite words :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheeky is definitely a good one to know & used often. Pegs are also clothing pins, as my neighbor has taught me :) XOL

    ReplyDelete