About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

22 July 2011

FOODIE FRIDAY!

Just like any other warm blooded person, I have a love affair with pizza.  It's a love-hate relationship, though.  I love pizza and pizza loves to fatten my bum, which I hate.  I have to say, being here makes me miss my local Papa Johns pizza, but the Brits have pretty good pizza, I must admit.  However, they have some interesting toppings you won't generally find at U.S.-based Dominos chains like sweet corn, corriander, tuna, and shrimp ("prawns").  Don't knock it til you try it!

Anyways, yesterday Kieran and I made our own personal pizzas (note: I don't claim to make pizza dough, I bought the pizza base on offer at Tesco).  I think you can tell a lot about a person and their uniqueness by what they put on their pizzas.  Try to guess which one is mine.


Veggie Special

someone likes it hot, hot, hot!

Meat lovers.  With just a smidge of green

Let's eat!
Job update:
Well, the sad news is the job I wanted was given to someone with slightly more management experience.  But my interviewer said I did a great job and was very enthusiastic and passionate and that I should keep trying out for similar posts because an agency is bound to snap me up soon.  I guess the good part is that this particular post would have been a very long commute (at least 45 minutes each way) and I would prefer to stay in West Sussex if possible.  So I'm pressing on, submitted three apps yesterday.  Thanks to everyone for your encouragement.  It's tough being unemployed and looking for work!  I know there's something out there with my name on it, I just hope to find it soon!  I appreciate the support as I venture forth!

The sun and summer FINALLY showed itself today, everyone was out and about.  However, I already see the grey clouds out my window, so I better go do my errands before the weather turns (as it always does here!).  That's one thing I love about Brits, they appreciate that the good weather is usually fleeting so as soon as the sun pops out, everyone and their brother come outside to play.  They don't take it for granted.

Ta ta!
-A-

4 comments:

  1. I loved corn on pizza when I was in the UK. Whenever I make my own, it's usually the first topping I go for. I really think someone needs to corner the market on that over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there- I just found your blog and can't wait to hear more about the journey! Good luck with the job hunt- you'll find something! Any job market has to be better than the U.S., right?
    I'm curious about the coriander pizza... tried it yet?
    Meri
    http://merigoesround.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the first time I ordered pizza in the UK. I told them what I wanted and he asked me about the "base" I'm like, "I'm sorry, what?" Vern looked at me and said, "crust". Thank goodness Vernon speaks American too! :) I so much prefer the UK Pizza Hut to the US Pizza Hut. Much better flavor in the crust, tomato sauce, cheese... love it! It's a tradition that every time I come for a visit, we all go to Pizza Hut my first night there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corn on a pizza is one thing that I just can't get used to :) Loved to see your own mini pizzas. My favourite pizza is from Soho Pizzeria, in London. It's the closest thing that I've found to American style deep dish with lots of cheese.

    ReplyDelete