About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

16 July 2011

FOODIE FRIDAY! 24 hrs late (Sorry!)

I'm a bad bad blogger and am a bit late on this post.  But it's still post-worthy so here you go.

The other day I had a massive craving for traditional American apple pie.  Seeing as how my last few weeks of shopping left us with a surplus of apples in the kitchen, I thought it was fate.

In case you're craving the same (after looking at my pics you might!), here's a recipe.  I've modified from the original as I like using several types of apples and my final outcome was very thick, so I hope yours might be a bit more gooey:

Ingredients:
--Store bought pie crust (2)--meh, why mess about with flour and shortening when it comes pre-made in the shop? :-)
-- 3 bramley apples (or "baking apples"), 3 pink lady apples (my favorite, so sweet!), and 2-3 fuji or gala apples
-- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
-- 1 cup sugar
-- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
-- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
-- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
-- 1 egg yolk
-- Pie pan
-- Wax paper/baking paper

Directions
-- Wash and peel all the apples.  Cut into thin slices and put in a large bowl
-- Toss the apples in lemon juice
--In a separate bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg
-- Add the dry mixture to the apples and toss until evenly covered
PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 425F/220C
-- Cut a round piece of baking paper to fit on the bottom of your pie pan.  This will stop the pie from sticking to it
-- Roll out one of the pie crusts on the base of the pie pan
--Pour the apple mixture into the bottom of the pie.  Don't worry if it looks like a mound, it's just choc-full of apples!  You'll appreciate it later
-- Roll the remaining pie crust over the top and cut slits in the top.  Or, if you're feeling crafty, you can cut out strips and do a "lattice" design. 
--In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk and a little bit of water or oil.  Brush the yolk over the top of your finished pie for a nice shiny effect later
--Bake the pie at 425F / 220C for 15 minutes
--Reduce oven heat to 350F / 180C and bake for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly
--Enjoy with ice cream or custard!

Before

After

Get in my belly!!!
  Let me know how yours turns out!
A xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment