About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

07 June 2011

Cheap Date

Brit-Speak Word of the Day:
"Pants"-- lame/bad.  As in "that accordion performance was pants"
OR underwear.  As in "pull up your trousers, I can see your pants"

Seeing as how we're only a one person income at the moment, we have to be conservative with the way we spend our leisure time.  Of course that doesn't mean we should shut ourselves away in the flat and avoid all social time! We just have to hold out on excursions to London and the rest of Europe til I'm on payroll :) I think we can manage.  Well, for a few months anyways, then I might go mad.

On Saturday we got a text from a friend inviting us to a gig in Southampton the next night.  Oddly enough we had just been listening to the band-- The Dangerous Summer -- whilst making Saturday night dinner and brownies.  I obviously didn't have an early Monday start so I was game and Kieran rarely passes up an opportunity for a cheap gig. 

On the way to the venue I snapped some pics of the city's history.
These are pictures of what's left of Bargate.  Built around 1200AD, this was the main entrance to the fortified city of Southampton.  At one time there was a large stone wall built around the whole perimeter of the city and this was the only way in and out.  Today it's just a massive historical building in the middle of the town shopping.  Strange but way cool.




Also, did you know that the Titantic left England from the port at Southampton? Now you do.

The gig was at this tiny venue called The Joiners.  Literally the band performers were sweating on me, we were so close to the stage. 
You know what's so cool?  The Dangerous Summer are actually from my home state of Maryland.  Not just that but they grew up about 20 minutes from where I did.  So crazy!  To come all this way to see a band from my hood.  It really is a small world.  Afterwards, I was speaking to the frontman and mentioned I was from Olney.  He was like, "Olney! Oh my God, you're blowing my mind right now!"  It was nice to feel a little piece of home for a moment.
>*<*>*<*>*<

Then last night we decided to go see The Hangover II at The Dome Cinema.  See on Monday nights it's £3 cinema tickets...a steal!  Fortunately we booked ahead of time cause it sold out pretty quick.

The Dome Cinema itself is a very historical building, one of the oldest working cinemas in England.  Going inside is like walking into the old school days of movies, it's pretty cool. 
Source  
Source
So funny.  And my second viewing, too! 

You see?  Sometimes you can have a fun time on a budget!  But still, the job hunt continues!

Anyone have any good tips on how to get the attention of potential employers?  I figured I would start out with the basic online apps and emails but no serious nibbles yet.  What's next?

Amanda

4 comments:

  1. It all sounds like fun! I need to learn to budget as well... I am horribly a big spender!
    Good thing I am able to spend until the end of this week, after that I live by my husband means for the next 6 months :)
    I do intend to get my photography hobby into profit, well I have done some work. Maybe that is how I will start!

    Have you tried job agencies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you using the Guardian's jobs website? that's where I found my job. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite part of the movie... when they go to the strip club and talk to the ladyboy and she/he tells them all about the 'climaxing'. So funny, do disturbing!
    And I have an ex from Nottingham. Everything he didn't like was 'pants'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I agree this one was wayyy darker in humor than the first but still a good laugh!

    ReplyDelete