About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

10 June 2011

FOODIE FRIDAY!

When I first arrived in England, I was greeted with about 4 or 5 wedding/engagement presents that Kieran had saved for us to open together.  Amongst these gifts was a nice set of wine glasses from Kieran's co-workers and a HUGE wedding card signed by all of them.  Kieran suggested that we should bake brownies to accompany a "thank you" note 'cause, let's face it, everyone loves brownies.  I can't imagine a more emphatic way to say THANKS.

Kieran's sister was kind enough to share her famous recipe  (sorry, no sharesies--family secret! bwahaha) and we got crackin'

Look at me cooking with a SCALE.  This is weird.

Pre melting process
The mixture was so thick Kieran broke the whisk in half!

Here, Choccy Choccy

Nooo that's too long to wait!
 


We made enough to give Kieran's younger sister a chocolatey belated bday pressie and keep some for ourselves AND give a batch to the office.

Needless to say, it was a huge hit.  Here's a mass email that Kieran's boss sent around after it had all been gobbled up:

"I made it to the office just in time to get the second to last brownie, it was delicious, I was thinking how romantic that was, the newlyweds baking together, brings back memories, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Thanks and a bit of advice, if you want to keep the marriage strong and exiting, bake every week"

And that's the story of how we tried to get Kieran a promotion.  Just kidding, we just like spreading the love via baked treats!


Our couch is FINALLY coming tomorrow and hopefully our lovely new telly.  The look on Kieran's face when I told him I had received an email about the TV being dispatched was the look of joy on the face of a child in a toy store.  

P.S. Today is a very special day.  It's my beloved mommy's birthday!!  I'm definitely bummed out that I can't be there but I spoke to her earlier and it sounds like her friends and my dad were giving her a nice day.  That's all that matters.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM!  I love you and miss you loads!!!

P.S.S. Thanks to everyone who has commented on my blog or facebook with encouraging words about my job hunt and England transition.  Y'all are the best!  Hope you have a great weekend.

Love,
Amanda

5 comments:

  1. Whoa Whoa Whoa.....why didnt I gett a Brownie...a best man is for life not just for the wedding!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Amanda and Kieran, Welcome to the UK. I am having cake sale and jewellery party tomorrow morning Saturday 11th June from 10.30am to 1pm. My friend Odette makes the jewellery and I make the cakes. We are raising money for St Barnabas House our local hospice. come and try some home baking and meet some people. Judith (a friend of your new mum in law) Judith Howarth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't get the scale measuring.. how do you take oil out of water if you put in too much by accident? Keep us posted on the job hunt... I may be doing that some day and I'm mostly nervous about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so Yummy I think I want to learn to start cooking!
    Maybe I can get me a nice book for baking ;)

    Enjoy your time without work :)! I am sure you will find something soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I may have to get to know you all, so I can have that recipe.Or does it require marrying into the family? I could do that;). Happy Birthday to your mom.

    ReplyDelete