About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

01 June 2011

My First HUMP DAY HISTORY from England

Well, I finally did it.  5 years since I met Kieran, a year after we got engaged, over a year talking about moving to England, two months after our wedding, and 5 weeks waiting for a visa and I'm finally here.  I arrived on early Sunday morning to London Heathrow.  Many many times I have come through that airport and it was weird yet liberating not feeling like the clock was ticking on our time together.

I had so many bags!  2 carry-ons, 2 checked bags, and 1 checked box.  Turned out one of my bags was overweight.  $200 in checked bag and overweight fees.  Ouch.  This was even after I had downsized my stuff quite a bit over the past year, including my car.

The first few days were rough, I have to say. I kept seeing my parents' faces at the airport and both with tears in their eyes.  I kept thinking about the HUGENESS of what I had just done.  Even after all this time of planning and getting ready to go, it was still a really difficult thing to do.  I felt a bit bipolar about the whole thing.  One minute I was deliriously happy to be with my hubby at last and the next minute I was sobbing about missing my family and friends. 

Fortunately today has been a better day.  I started my job hunt (I'm still waiting on my National Insurance Number, though) and went out with some mutual friends.  Plus the past two days have been really sunny and pretty which lifts the spirits.  Plus I've been putzing around with my new mobile, it's super awesome!  My first iphone everrrrr.  It's so lovely I want to marry it.

Speaking of major purchases, we finally found a couch we like so very soon our living room won't look so depressing and we won't have to lay on the floor to watch TV.

He doesn't look very happy watching X-Factor on the floor
Anyways, we're just trying to make the flat home-y but trying to budget cause I'm still looking for a job at the moment.  I've put a few feelers out there and applied for a few social work jobs today so we shall see where it goes.  I hope it doesn't take long.  I miss working and, more importantly, making money!!  Keep my in your thoughts and prayers as I search for a good one.

Meanwhile, I think I can get used to views like these on evening walks.


Well, in honor of my new home and lovely view from my flat, I will tell you a little bit about the history of Worthing Pier for this week's HUMP DAY HISTORY lesson!

WORTHING PIER--WEST SUSSEX

source
The pier was first opened in April 1862 and upgraded in size in 1888.  The pier was designed by Sir Robert Rawlinson.  It is 960 feet in length and at the beginning is The Worthing Pavillion, a 650-seat entertainment hall for concerts and the famous pantomimes during the Christmas season.

Between then and now, the pier has suffered many episodes of damage and destruction.  First in 1913 (damage from a storm), again in 1933 (massive fire), and once again in 1940 (a large hole was purposely blasted to prevent a possible landing by German forces during the war).  Again and again the local government and community rebuilt the pier.  It was and still is a regional icon and popular gathering place.  The profile of Worthing wouldn't be the same without it.

It's most recent claim to fame is that it's the current location (since 2008) of the popular International Birdman competition.  Originally held in Bognor Regis, the competition involves human "birds" attempting to fly the farthest distance from the pier in order to win prize money.  It was moved to Worthing in recent years due to concerns that the water depth in Bognor Regis wasn't safe enough. 

something like this
This year's International Birdman competition is scheduled to take place August 13th and 14th.  You better believe I'll be there.  Would be dumb if I didn't witness it, I can see the pier from my flat.  You know I'll be posting pics here so stay tuned!

Well, that's all for now, friends.  I have to finish some applications this evening. 

Hope everyone is having a good week!  By the way, thanks to everyone for their messages and emails wishing me luck on my journey, it really did help!  Everyone has been so sweet and supportive.  You're awesome.

Love,
A

9 comments:

  1. LIKE, LIKE, LIKE!!!

    Sue
    PS booking my place at yours for the Birdman - will bring binoculars and a bottle or two :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All this waiting and finally it's here---savor every minute of it--life just rushes by

    ReplyDelete
  3. whats with you living in english places with bizzare traditions. First cheese rolling and then this birdman nonsense? Maybe all the brits are just looney!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Dear,
    I am very happy for you .My prayer for your new life new home and new beginning
    Love and Hugs
    Ghazala

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the same way when I first moved over to London, my parents leaving me at the airport, all of us crying. Our flat looked exactly like that at first too! Exciting days, enjoy them :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Welcome to London living (again) Im job hunting as well, its the worst...good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Job will be making beautiful photography for the first 6 months. hopefully it will kick off and I can live from it! :)
    I will be also working making my website, logos and other creative things. By the way the human bird thing sounds like fun, I might come see it in person :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently got an iPhone too -- aren't they fantastic? Randomly found your blog and it sounds like you are having so much fun too :) I just moved as well and it is certainly a challenge decorating on a budget! My friend's blog, johnsonfamily23.blogspot.com has been helpful. She has tons of cute crafts if you are into decorating :) I am looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY welcome! (p.s. I've been to Worthing! I have a friend who lives in Goring, right nearby. How random!)

    ReplyDelete