About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

03 June 2011

FOODIE FRIDAY!

I have survived nearly a week in England now.  No job yet but sent out a few applications.  I did, however, manage to register with an NHS doctor and sent off my paperwork to get my NI#. 

Fun fact: over here they call a doctors' practice a "surgery."  It was pretty painless, they took my BP and my forms and I was good to go.  I didn't even have to get my wallet out.  I think I can get used to this.

This weekend, Kieran and I seriously need to look over our wedding album proofs and pic out our favorites for an album and individual prints.  Can't believe it's been nearly 2 months since the wedding!  Time goes when you're waiting for a visa.

The weather has been really nice here.  Sunny and clear.  Nearly summer weather!  Hard to believe it's June already.  Don't forget--Father's Day is just around the corner!


On this week's FOODIE FRIDAY, I would like to take a moment to discuss British crisps.  For those of you who need a Brit-speak refresher, crisps=potato chips and chips=fries/potato wedges.  Now I love potato chips as much as the next person but they've got a crazy array of flavors here.  It's a bit overwhelming.  Gone are the days of boring old potato-flavored crisps!  Now you can open a bag and have a whole roasted chicken, steak, or prawn in your mouth. 





That's not all, folks.  In the potato-flavored snack genre there are several other yummy snacks in a bag.

Hula Hoops


Classic favorite--Pringles.  Thank goodness I can get these here!


Pom Bear, the teddy-shaped potato snack


Quavers



Squares



If you're a potato-based savory snack lover, this is the country for you!  However it's a nightmare for people like me trying to eat right.  A nice packet of crisps comes hand-in-hand with a nice pint at the pub.  It's just a fact.

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend!

Love,
A

2 comments:

  1. Anywhere I've shopped in England, I can't find the party size bags anywhere... only big bags full of little tiny bags. Not sure what that's all about? I am a pretzel person... I managed to find one bag on the bottom shelf shoved in the back. "American style" pretzles. I was so excited! That was the first time I had pretzles there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The party sized bags are much smaller here. It's probably not that you can't find them, but that they don't exist in the same way. They are also often at the end of aisle on a very small shelf toward the bottom. I'll have to remember to take my camera next time I'm to the store.

    I'm glad you're settling in. Feel free to e-mail if you feel like you could use someone to ask those glaring questions to (the eggs are in the baking aisle in most stores, they're not in a cooler) or if you need someone to agree with you.

    Best,
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete