About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

09 June 2011

Rejection Sucks on Any Continent

BRIT-SPEAK Word of the Day
"Naff" = uncool/lame/tacky.  As in, "the magician at Jane's wedding was pretty naff"


The good news is, I got my National Insurance # today! 
The bad news is, I got my first rejection letter yesterday as a job seeker in England.  :-(
Ouch.  I spent about an hour or two feeling sorry for myself and decided (with the husband's encouragement) to shake it off and keep going forward. 

Today I called a few health and care home agencies who told me I was too qualified to be a "support worker" which basically a home health aide and not qualified in medical practice cause I'm not a nurse or doctor.

Well today I started another application which I think I'd be good for so I'm just keepin' on until something gives!  I know I've only been at the search for less than two weeks but I'm antsy to work cause I left my last job in March to do wedding/moving/immigration stuff and I'm more than ready to get back to it.

In the meantime, I have offered myself for some volunteer work so at the very least I can get myself out of the house and doing some meaningful stuff until a full time position finds me.

It's SO BEAUTIFUL here with the past few days being quite sunny and pleasant.  It's been really windy so I have had the pleasure of watching windsurfers and kite flyers outside my window.  Plus it's hilarious to watch the sea gulls fly against the gusts of wind and not get very far.

Speaking of which, a random pigeon landed on our balcony yesterday and spent a good 5 minutes just trying to stay put with the wind blowing him around. 


Typically I'm not a fan of pigeons but it was pretty cute.

Yesterday I saw this "American Food" restaurant down the street from our flat.  I might have to give them some business one of these days.  Just for kicks

Looks good, right?!  Doesn't look like they've had too many patrons over the last few days.  I suppose I should do my part to support local businesses, eh?

I just found out my bestie is gonna be in Frankfurt, Germany next month!  So I might just pop on over for a weekend.  How cool is that?  For 40 quid (pounds) I can just jet away to Germany for a weekend.  I could get used to this.  :-D

Well Kieran's off at football (soccer) and I've got to do the washing up (dishes) before I get too tired to try. 

Love
Amanda

4 comments:

  1. Hi there
    Mother in law here - LOL
    There is something out there for you, you just haven't seen it yet :)
    Perhaps we can go to the diner for lunch one day next week? We can discuss on Saturday.
    Looking forward to seeing you soon.
    Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me miss England so much. Especially since it's literally been hotter than Hell over here the last few weeks. Yesterday the heat index got to 110.

    I always loved the English version of "American" food. There was a place near my dorm that specialized in American Style Baguettes. Never quite figured out WTF that was all about - I guess they were supposed to be hoagies?

    I'm sure you'll find a job soon, but not working is so much more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I get a rejection on almost a daily basis. I know what you mean. Atleast I am lucky to have a job...right? I get so frustrated and down on myself due to the job search. Best of luck to you on your search!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stop by your local job center and ask them if they give CV advice. It may help. It may not. But also peruse the cv advice on university websites. They do things a wee bit differently here. And places telling you that you're too qualified, please. They're not worth working for. Everywhere needs carers. You'll get there.

    Something that is exactly the same in the US and the UK is a mc-------'s shake.

    Can't wait to hear about the American food.

    ReplyDelete