About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

21 June 2011

Observations of a professional TV watcher

Not gonna lie, I have a deep love for the television.  I love nothing more than watching a good episode of Spongebob Squarepants on a lazy Sunday with a bowl of cereal.  Ahhh.  Well, being abroad has shown me several differences in British TV vs. American TV.  As expected, there are loads of my favorite programs I can't see anymore :'(

Seinfeld
Modern Family
Pretty Little Liars
The Nanny
Golden Girls
Ohhh the list continues but it's depressing me, I can't go on!

 However, I have noticed a lot of parallels in TV shows.  Whether it's Americans copying the British or the other way around (I'll leave you readers to duke that one out for yourselves), it's quite entertaining

Made in Chelsea
Source

VS

The Hills
Source


The Office UK (the original)
Source

VS

The Office US
Source


Geordie Shore
Source

VS


Jersey Shore
Source


Skins UK
Source

VS

US Skins
Source


The Marriage Ref UK
Source

VS

The Marriage Ref US
Source

Shameless UK
Source

VS

Shameless US
Source

Not to mention the countless talent shows:  American Idol, Pop Idol, America's Got Talent, Britain's Got Talent, the X Factor, Dancing with the Stars, Skating with the Stars, etc. etc.  Those all blur together cause even the American versions have Brits on the panel of judges!

I suppose in the TV business it's all about marketing a popular idea to people in different countries.  It can be entertaining but a bit repetitive.  Let's get some new ideas out there, people!!


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The other day, I was admiring how far out the tide was and fancied a walk.  The hubby said he would show me how to go "rock pooling" where you look at the shallow pools of water around the rocks for wildlife and turn over rocks to try and find cool little fellas like crabs and fish.  I should have stuck to my instincts and waited til I had a nice pair of wellies, but hubs insisted I'd be fine with my tennis shoes.  Well, at the end of the day, my shoes got soaked and smell like seafood.  Oh well.  It was still a lovely and beautiful adventure!





Just hours ago the water would be far over our heads! It's cool how close we can get to the pier at low tide!


















Last night we had a special treat and had Kieran's parents and sister over for dinner for a belated Father's Day get-together.  It was our first real dinner entertainment night in our new (nearly fully furnished) flat!  I made lasagne and my favorite dessert--  CUP OF DIRT

Source
It was a little difficult without JELL-O brand pudding and I couldn't find gummy worms but I did my best with strawberry laces, custard, and oreos--and it tasted yummy!  Success!


The parents-in-law brought us some lovely flowers to spruce up the living room.  Lillies and irises are my faves! 


GOOD NEWS!  I got my first job interview, scheduled for next week.  More details to come!  Glad to just get to this stage.

Ta ta!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely meal - it was great to see you both.
    Sue
    PS I have tickets for the Athletics - BIG GRIN!!!!
    Good luck with interview

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never noticed how prude-ish (probably not a word) Americans are when it comes to TV until I started watching a lot of British shows on Netflix. Especially with shows like Skins. I watched one episode of the American version and it was the absolute lamest thing I've ever seen.

    Congrats on the job interview! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely flowers indeed. I'm laughing at how many of those shows did indeed start out not in the US (or the UK for that matter). Moreover, I laughing at how many of them I had no idea existed. Must dig out of my hole soon:)

    ReplyDelete