About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

16 June 2011

My first experience with the NHS

http://www.nhs.uk


What kind of expat blogger would I be if I didn't write about some of the boring practical things that often come up?  Thus, I will tell you about my first ever visit to the doctor in England.

Don't worry, I'm not ill.  I just needed to get a doctor so he/she can refill my meds.  The first step was to register with a doctor's surgery (as I briefly mentioned in a previous post).  There are a few in my neighborhood but I went with one that has like 8 doctors with hopes that getting an appointment wouldn't be too painful.  I just filled out about 5 pages of forms (including a survey about alcoholism which I passed, hehe), handed them in, and waited a few days to make an appointment.  Last week I booked myself an appointment and got my NHS registration card in the mail.

Simple as that.

Nothing like waiting for health insurance companies to get back to you about your pre-existing conditions and then sending you the wrong paperwork or a member card with your name spelled wrong.  I'm not bitter.  Moving on...

I turned up at the surgery today and there was a nifty little touch screen computer in the doorway where you can digitally sign yourself in.  It was kind of cool.  15 minutes later I am paged overhead by my doctor (kind of reminded me of my days of working in a hospital or nursing home) to come to surgery room 1.  I sit in a nice office and the doctor asks me a few questions about my medications and medical history.  After 10 minutes he hands me a three month supply presecription of my meds. Which, I might add, will be F-R-E-E when pick them up from the pharmacy. 

As I left the doctor's office, I awkwardly blurted out, "geez, it's weird leaving an appointment without paying you" which sounded awful and American and I immediately wished I had just left it at "thank you."  The doctor just shrugged and said that I pay via my taxes.  BWAHAHA little does he know I am currently unemployed so I'm just freeloading at the moment.  Thankfully I kept that tidbit to myself and left quietly.

In the states my meds could cost me between $100-200 per month cause my insurance was crap.  And that's with generic brands! Imagine if I had name brands.  That's still nothing compared to people with serious long-term illnesses and elderly people who sometimes have to choose between food shopping and their heart medication.  It isn't right.

Well, all-in-all, I had a pretty great first experience, albeit not an emergency scenario.  I think the quality of your country's medical care really comes into play when you REALLY need it.  Which I hope I won't have to experience, but you never know. 

Speaking of the lovely NHS, I just submitted an application for a job I really want at an NHS Trust in the area.  It's a great opportunity and I REALLY hope I get an interview.   When I hit the "submit" button, I had butterflies in my stomach and wanted to barf.  In a good way.  Send your positive thought vibes my way!  I'll keep you posted.

Tonight we're going out to dinner with "Nan Worthing" (as opposed to "Nan London" who is equally awesome) so I better tidy up the flat so we can have her over for a cuppa (cup of tea) afterwards.  Wow that sentence sounded very English. 

Laters!
xoxoxox

2 comments:

  1. Glad it went so well. I actually went up to pay after my first appointment. I knew better and yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been here a year and still not signed up with my local NHS - glad to hear it was not too cumbersome (although I'll have to do all that paperwork for 4 - that must be why I've waited). Fingers crossed on your interview!

    Thank you for joining Post Of The Month Club! XOL

    ReplyDelete