About Me

My photo
20-something American girl from Suburban Maryland/DC and transplanted to England in Spring 2011. After surviving a trans-atlantic relationship, I married my British better half in April 2011 and followed him across the pond! Wedding planning, immigration issues, and adventures in expatriatism! This blog has got it all. Please comment! :-D

29 June 2011

HUMP DAY HISTORY!

Before I get into this week's history lesson (oh it's a doozy, stay tuned :-D  ), just a quick update on what I've been up to this week/last weekend.

Sunday was absolutely gorgeous, though it started out a bit foggy.  We opened the windows and were immediately greeted by music coming from the Lido (beachside sunny entertainment area) and the sight of loads of people on the beach and walking around in the sunny weather.

Most of the weekend I was stuck inside working on my PowerPoint presentation for my interview on Tuesday, but on Sunday afternoon Kieran and I ventured out to enjoy the fresh air and summer scenery.






Kieran and I had a lovely walk along the sandy part of the water as the tide had gone out and strolled back home for dinner.  Such chill afternoon, I love it!

Well Tuesday came along and it was time for my first interview here.  A bit scary to be honest.  The hubs made it a bit easier on me by renting a car for the day and driving me there and back (so sweet!) and waited for me in the parking lot for me to get finished.  The job isn't too accessible by public transport so if I'm lucky to get it, we will have to get a car but it would def be worth it.  The interview was a bit of a mixed bag.  I did well on my PowerPoint presentation and a few of the case studies but some of the questions caught me a little off guard and I tried my best.  Plus, the interviewers were nice but had their poker faces on so it was hard to read how I was doing.  All in all, not terrible.  I'm trying to be hopeful and I will hear soon.  Meanwhile, back to submitting more CVs and making phone calls.

Whatever is meant to be, will be.  There's a job out there with my name on it and I will find it  :-D

Thanks to my friends, family, and fellow bloggers for all their well wishes.  It's good to know I've got support where I need it.

I'll keep you posted.



Random point:
If you're looking for your yummy summer lemonade, be careful how you order it in England.  Their "lemonade" is different.  Take a look!

"Cloudy Lemonade"

VERSUS

"Regular Lemonade" (Sprite-like)
























You have been warned!

HUMP DAY HISTORY LESSON:
COCKNEY SLANG

"I don't know what she's rabbiting about"
"Use your crust, lad"
"She has such long bacons"

What on earth is this all about and where did it come from?  These are remaining phrases from Cockney Rhyming Slang.  This language, which was popularized in the 19th century, is primarily associated with working class Londoners, especially in the East End. 

The term "cockney" was started early as the 14th century in the word "cockeneyes" literally meaning a small, mis-shapen "cock's egg" and by the 1500s it was used by rural people in a derogatory manner towards city dwellers.

The first detailed account of this secret language was outlined in 1859 in Slang Dictionary, written by John Camden Hotten.

Why come up with a secret language?  Perhaps those who invented it were trying to conceal information from outsiders, including the police.  Or maybe it was just a bit of linguistic fun.  Both theories are widely purported. 

No matter the reasons for its initial invention, it's safe to say that the influence of cockney slang has spread beyond East London and has been incorported into common language for Brits. 

I thought coming to England would be somewhat easy cause after all, they speak English here.  Right?  Not quite.  I still have a lot to learn!

Ta ta!
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment